StromTrooper banner

The free-loader's plan for the passes

17K views 127 replies 14 participants last post by  knybanjo 
#1 · (Edited)
Colorado on a budget...both time and money. :cool:

Although there will be no "official" Iron Butt attempts... some days may be close enough to qualify as "Tin" ;)

Day one, the plan is to pitch a tent in Bender's back yard and walk over to the Missouri State Fair for some rest and relaxation after 900 miles on the road.

Day two, after a nice nap I hope to get to the "front range" before dark and pitch my tent in pablo83's yard. The temps should be much cooler here and I can only hope for a good nights sleep after two big days on the road.

Days three through six will hopefully be spent riding a mix of the following passes and camping for free out in the wilderness of Colorado.

Day three will most likely begin like THIS. Taking pavement over Wilkerson and Trout Creek passes to Buena Vista. Then heading up over Cottonwood Pass with a stop at Tin Cup on my way to Crested Butte.

Now here is where my plans become extremely flexible.....time and weather will play a big part in my daily decisions. Since it is acceptable to practice "dispersed camping" in most parts of Colorado I won't be worried too much about getting caught out after dark trying to make it someplace for the night. I do think that I'll do most of my eating in towns so I won't have to worry with keeping my food away from bears and varmints. So I'll always try to grab a bite and fill up with water before heading out across a wilderness area...and I'll never be too far from town in the AM either (I don't usually eat 1st thing in the AM anyway)

Here are a few options I'm considering.

Kebler Pass and loop back through the Black Canyon.

If I don't like the looks of things atop Kebler...I can always take the Ohio Pass down to Gunnison.

From either of those options I'll be faced with the decision of where to go next....towards Ouray via the Owl Creek Pass or to head for Lake City 1st via the Blue Mesa cut-off...or even just down 149 from Gunnison...although that last option is most likely if I'm leaving Lake City in the reverse direction.

Once in the Ouray area I plan to just ride around exploring and enjoying the scenery. :D

Possible passes I may cross include but are not limited to:

Red Mtn
Ophir Pass
Last Dollar

I hope to have a look at both Black Bear and Imogene but do not plan on crossing them on the Wee-Strom.....just go up above town a bit to get some pics if that's possible.

There looks to be lots of little things (old mining camps) to explore in this area like the road to Gladstone and all along Red Mtn.

Of course I hope to ride the length of the "million dollar highway" between Ouray and Durango.

but...if it looks like I can get up to Engineer Pass from Animas Forks to Lake City I may do that 1st then loop back down to Durango via Pagosa Springs...(vice versa if I chicken out on Engineer)

Another option may be to ride through the canyon on 141 up to Grand Junction, that looks like it'd be a lot of fun! :bom_evilgrin:

Then on my way out of the hills I may ride over Marshall Pass too.

Then I may actually do some Iron Butt distances heading for home...who knows.

I plan to leave on Friday Aug 21st and don't have to be back to work til Sun Aug 30th.

I'm really looking forward to this ride and hope that I can at least get a couple of good pics from it too....The subject matter should definitely be on my side! :p

Hey!!....if you have any favorites that I've missed...both routes and campsites, please feel free to share them with me! :thumbup:

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks,
It is my understanding, please correct me if I'm wrong, that ONLY "the steps" are one-way on Black Bear and that there are marked "bail out" points from both sides.

Anyway I'm only planning to just go up to the base of the steps from Telluride to try and get some pics of the waterfalls. :) I've been told that it's two-way up to the powerhouse, although I probably won't go that far.

#5 · (Edited)
Hey Kevin, sounds like a great trip. I am really jealous. Have you ridden in CO before?

A few comments/suggestions for consideration. Where do I start????

Day 3: If you want to get a little dirty right quick like, from CS head NW on 24, loop thru Garden of the Gods and take Rampart Range Rd. up to Woodland Park. There was some washboard when I was thru there in '08 but not too bad.

Plan lunch in Tincup. Have a fantastic burger and fries at Frenchy's and if you have any room left try one of their mouth-watering pies. :hurray:

Some great dispersed camping from Cottonwood Pass down to Taylor Park Res. There is also a developed campground overlooking the lake across the road from the Marina. Seems like it cost us about $20 for 4 people on one site. Fantastic morning views. And they have hot showers.

They have great breakfast burritos at the Marina. Grab one and a cup of coffee and have breakfast on the Marina deck overlooking the lake. Great way to start the day.

Day 3 alternate route: Leave CO Springs and head SW to Canon City. From there to Salida Hwy 50 follows the Arkansas river for about 50 miles. BIG FUN!!! Continue on 50 to Monarch Pass. Just before the crest, take a right on Old Monarch Pass (well graded dirt). Take Black Sage Pass and Waunita Pass (both well graded dirt) to Pitkin. Some beautiful open meadows thru there.

There is gas in Pitkin at the corner store. Continue thru Pitkin and over Cumberland Pass into Tincup and on to Taylor Park Res. Seems like Cumberland may have been a little rocky but nothing a strom couldn't do. My memory is a little fuzzy there, might want to get more recent info.

#7 ·
Hey Kevin, sounds like a great trip. I am really jealous. Have you ridden in CO before?
Ooops, I didn't answer your 1st question. :bom_dizzy2:

Yeah, I've ridden in Colorado a couple of times on the old street pig and have been skiing several times too, but I've never made it to the Ouray, Teluride, Silverton area so I'm really looking forward to it!!

:party:

#6 ·
Hey Kenny!

Thanks for the tips and welcome to stromtrooper!!

Sooo did you or are you getting a Strom?

I've already been eyeing that Rampart Range Rd on the map.... ;) and thanks again for another possible route.....Ya can't have too many options! :thumbsup:

BTW.... are you gonna be able to meet me for lunch in Tin Cup? :bom_smoking:

#8 · (Edited)
Day 4: 92 from Crawford to Blue Mesa Res has got to be one of the best twisty pieces of pavement in all of CO. Mile after mile, the further you go the tighter it gets. And it goes on and on and on. :hurray::hurray::hurray: Jeez, I think I just peed my pants thinking about it.

Take the Lake City cutoff and when you hit 149, take a left for a few miles then turn rt. on County Road 27 (Powderhorn Rd.?) and on to CR 50 (both well graded dirt/gravel). Gorgeous scenery. Comes out on 149 a few miles south of Lake City at Slumgullion Pass. Lots of camping spots along the way.

#10 ·
Day 4: 92 from Crawford to Blue Mesa Res has got to be one of the best twisty pieces of pavement in all of CO. Mile after mile, the further you go the tighter it gets. And it goes on and on and on. :hurray::hurray::hurray: Jeez, I think I just peed my pants thinking about it.

Take the Lake City cutoff and when you hit 149, take a left for a few miles then turn rt. on County Road 27 (Powderhorn Rd.?) and on to CR 50 (both well graded dirt/gravel). Gorgeous scenery. Comes out on 149 a few miles south of Lake City at Slumgullion Pass. Lots of camping spots along the way.
Oh yeah!! :var_50: Don't stop now!!

Does this map look like the right route? CLICK HERE

#13 ·
If you happen to be near Gunnison around supper time, try the Adult Happy Meal at The Trough. Burger, fries, and a beer. It was really good but I am partial to bar food. They have a really nice restaurant but I have always eaten in the bar. It's right beside this hotel on Hwy 50 at the West end of town.

I don't think you will have any problems with Engineer but if it looks too bad, take the alternate route. Cinnamon Pass parallels Engineer. It runs east from Animas Forks and comes out on 149 south of Lake City. It's a little easier route and the views are almost as good.

Here's a good site for info on Engineer/Cinnamon which are part of the Alpine Loop. It also has a good map of the area.

Here is a pretty good site for info on alot of the CO passes with lots of pics.

#14 · (Edited)
+100 on the Million Dollar Hwy. Gotta do it at least once. It's just amazing to see that road hanging on the side of the shear rock face.:var_47:

141 to GJ is a "must do" also. A very easy road to ride but every turn looks like a postcard. One great vista after another. Just be careful around Gateway. There used to be a very sharp, off-camber turn there that will bite you if you aren't paying attention. There are lots of signs/warnings as you approach it and you had best heed them.

If you want another fun dirt road, when you reach Whitewater turn east on 50 and then take Lands End Rd. to the top of Grand Mesa.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=CO-141%2FCO-50%2FUS-50&daddr=Lands+End+Rd&geocode=FdjvUgIdFTSJ-Q%3BFSaIUwId956M-Q&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=39.023418,-108.217392&sspn=0.013736,0.027251&ie=UTF8&ll=39.009847,-108.262711&spn=0.109911,0.348816&t=p&z=12

Great view from the Mesa.

#16 · (Edited)
Ok, one more post and then I'll shut my trap. ;)

If you take Marshall Pass on the way home, might as well continue with the dirt theme. Go to downtown Salida and take a left before the river on 291. Take a right on CR-175 and follow the Ute Trail for the next 45 miles. Great road, well graded, you can make pretty good time on it. Someplaces in the high meadows I'm sure I hit 70 for several miles at a time.
Pics here, here, and here. Heh, what the hell, a couple more here and here. Check out the old town of Turret. You might even get to meet the Mayor.

A little side trip while in Salida, if you want to climb to the S on the mtn, just after hitting CR-175, turn rt. on CR-176 and Spiral Dr. takes you round and round the hill til you get to the top. Great view of Salida and surrounding area.

If you have any money left in your pockets after a week in CO, stop by Cripple Creek and try you luck at the tables. You might win enough to stay and spend another week riding. :hurray::hurray:

Have fun(like it needs to be said), ride safe, and take lots of pics. And let me know when the RR starts so I don't miss it.

See ya' round Kev. Maybe at TdP?

P.S. Do you have a CO atlas? You are welcome to borrow mine. I found it useful to check out local roads and plan the next days ride while sitting around the fire at night. If you want to use it, let me know when you are coming thru AVL and I can meet you somewhere. Friday?

Kenny

#17 · (Edited)
Dang Kenny...you don't have to shut your trap! :confused:

That's some great stuff!! :var_14:

Keep it coming, :mod2_beta1: even though I've probably got more than I can possibly do in one trip.

I like to be able to have a plan B or C in mind if plan A looks like it's in the middle of a thunderstorm!! ;)

Here's another one I got from ADV...have you ever ridden Stony Pass?

GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB said:
Damn Kevin, sure wish I could tag along. Now unless you just love the high rocky passes, don't miss Stoney Pass from Silverton back over almost to Creed. Can't wait for the Ride Report to start.
I'll continue this thread as a Ride Report when I get back and probably cross post it on ADV as well.

Edit:
Yeah I did buy a DeLorme for Colorado a few months ago and have been drooling all over it every since! :drool5: and I DO hope to be at TDP in Sept. :p

#19 ·
I hate you both.

Now back to my cave where I turn hours into pennies.

#22 ·
I'm working on a few revisions.....of course they are still flexible and may change again at a moments notice! :rolleyes:

Day one. I think that I should be able to make that with plenty of time for goofing off along the way.

Day two. Another easy goal, I think, that should give me plenty of time to explore Telluride and maybe even ride Ophir before dark.

Day three.....heck, I can't plan that far ahead...I'll cross that bridge when I get there!! :bom_juggle2:

p.s. I'm dumb enough to combine both of those days into one :bom_goofy: ....but not dumb enough to plan it that way! :mod2_innocent:

:new_fineprint: There's no need for me to rush this part of the trip :willy_nilly: as I think it'll all be great, so I want to take the time to enjoy every moment!! :bom_daisy:

#29 ·
Hey!!That worked!!

That handsome self portrait was smallest phone would take....I Wonder how big of one I can attach from it?

Unfortunately I havent been able to sign into my smugmug acc. from it.

#32 ·
Having ridin all the route and the passes you have outlined, I can say that you should be ok. On a couple of those passes, you will be scraping the bottom of the bike....so I hope you have a belly pan. The last guy that did some of those without the belly pan ended up with this.....

A rock hit the plug, twisted it....loosening it up and all the oil was dumped on the highway at 60 mph....after the plub vibrated out.

My last piece of advice.....don't over-estimmate how far you can go in a day in the Colorado mountains. The general rule of thumb in the dirt is....estimate the time of your ride and then double it. I have done 175 mile days, riding hard and it took 10 hours to complete.

Honestly though......HAVE A BIG TIME!!!!!! and if you get stranded or need help.....give me a ring. (7 one 9 -five, four, eight - 040 five). If I can't help you, I have a network of friends across the state who can.

#34 ·
Made it to Sedalia...920 mi. was stuck inrush hour for an hour in St Louis.

Headed to the Mo state fair for a corndog!!

Colorado tomorrow!!

#36 ·
Lol
I just ran out of gas and had to push bike 1/4 mile to exit....wow glad i was close.

Fuel mileage is down runnig fast with all the luggage....but I should have known better.

In Junction City, Ks.....getting back on the road soon....

#37 ·
Hey Knybanjo!

Just wanted to let you know I’ll be watching your report on this trip with anticipation.

I am self-employed, and worse than that “independent” self-employed consultant and for some strange reason my clients expect me to be around when they have issues. Other than day trips and an occasional weekender up in North Georgia or East Tennessee, my desire to take an extended motorcycle trip have limits. These limits, along with a desire to see the rocky mountains, have me planning to do a ride like this and I will hopefully make this happen next year sometime.

Hope you have a safe trip and please post lots of photos along with your thoughts. Some of us are forced to live vicariously through other ride reports so thanks for your effort in documenting your ride.

Have fun!
Brent

#38 ·
Hey Brent welcome on board! I hope that you get to make that trip someday soon!

I'm having trouble getting back on this site from my phone...I'm on pablo83's home computer right now......so you may not hear from me for a few days if that persists.

A little bit about today....

Kansas :( ....because Colorado is worth it. ;)

......and that's all I got to say about that!

more drama.....I'm beginning to dobt another gamble I have made. :var_52:

My rear tire may not last the whole trip......statistically it should...visually I'm concerned. I can get a new one Tue or Wed in Colorado Springs.....but

I'm wondering if any of you locals have a 1/2 tread tire laying around? how a about a no-mar type changer?

I'd be willing to buy a 1/2 tread tire if you have a way that we could change it Wed. afternoon/ evening......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.