StromTrooper banner

Kings Mtn National Battlefield Park 3 times this week.....

3K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  knybanjo 
#1 ·
The battle that took place here marked the turning point for us in the Revolutionary War against the British.

It happens to be "in the neighborhood" for me so my wife and I frequently ride through it and/or take our dogs there for a walk. Fall is our favorite time of year and this park tends to have some nice colors splashed around here and there too. :D

Monday Nov 3rd my wife and I rode the Wee 2-up over to Kings Mtn....which is actually 2 parks, 1 State and 1 Federal.

Today we would enter from the East into the SC State Park on pavement 1st.

The speed limit varies from 25 to 35 through here......just slow cruising.

Then a nice diversion to the South is Apple Rd.

A narrow 1 lane that winds it's way through mature hardwoods.

See less See more
#2 ·
We actually exited the park briefly....but then then we re-entered into the National Park side on Piedmont Rd, a wider straighter shot but still unpaved. :cool:

This road itself is not as exciting, but there were some nice splashes of color.

One handed on the fly point and shoot photography aint the best.....but I have fun trying. :rolleyes:

All too soon we were back on pavement.

Next up....the Battlefield.

#3 · (Edited)
Great pics. That is indeed a good park for a short ride. I discovered the same gravel roads you showed and sometimes i'll leave charlotte for the short 20 minute hop down the interstate just to cruise them, and regain sanity. Then 20 minutes back up the road to "hell". Heres a springtime shot of the end of the park gravel. From this point it became privately owned road. J.R.

#4 ·
Fall has got to be my favorite season. :mrgreen:

My wife holds a picture of Jill along with her collar, today's walk would be in her honor as we had just buried her 2 days prior and she loved to come here for walks.

The 1 1/2 mile trail goes down around behind the backside of the hill then follows a creek before climbing up and following the ridge-top.

There are many plaques like this along the trail that tell the battle's history.

General Ferguson's grave. He was a Scot and the only true Brit in this battle as he led a group of Americans that were Loyalists....to the King.

The following are pics that I had taken previously of the monuments atop the ridge.

Sam and Jill with my wife.

and sitting on the smaller monument with Sable and Dixie.

This sign would be my reason for my 3rd trip to Kings Mtn in one week.

We left a flower on the front lawn where she once played ball.

And so ends the 1st visit........

Hey Look!! a Red Coa..... I mean Tank. :p

#6 ·
Trip to King's Mtn Parks #2 Thursday Nov 6th.

This time we would not be on the Wee but the old thumpers instead....but hey, mines a Suzuki 650. ;)
No hurry today as I swapped off from work since my wife was scheduled off already....so we have all day to goof around.

1st up is a trip past some local farmland....nobody home today.

One of the 1st things we noticed was how fast the colors were already fading from just a couple of days ago.....still making our way to the park.

The county and/or state has "improved" this road. :rolleyes:

A few trees are still coming in to their own yet though. :cool:

Back on Apple Rd, this time heading North into the park.

The main road through the parks.

We initially were just going to stop to use the restrooms but ended up walking the trail again.

This tree was still looking good!!

The sky was as clear as I've ever seen it that day.

It's literally infested with squirrels gathering nuts for the winter...look close atop that log.

Can you tell I like fall? :p

It was a nice day to ride too. ;)

We found some more "dust" on the way back....she got tired of it after a while. I guess we should have been on the Wee. :mrgreen:

I've always like this farms setting too, it's just outside the park...not much color here though.

#8 ·
I had some extra time today so I decided to try and catch the Backcountry Militia doing a weapons display.
Remember this sign?

The Kings Mtn ridge is really a continuation of the Crowders Mtn/ Kings Pinnacle ridge....this is what it looks like from the road that runs behind my house.

I headed for Apple via Edgepark.

Just climbing out from JONNYREB's pic is a little erosion egdetrap to watch out for.

Good day for a solo ride on the Wee......it would have been real dusty for a group ride.

Self portrait :D

Although there wasn't a program scheduled at the amphitheatre....it was it's own attraction.

I spy an encampment......

:bom_shout:
Unfortunately I just missed a weapons demonstration.....and it would be 2 more hours till the next one.

Here's what I did see.......

I learned that this group puts on these displays about once a month.

This guy was making candles.

On the road again.......

If you go West and keep turning left at every ungated opportunity you will follow the park's boundary.

The Kings Mtn ridge as seen from the West end looking East.

This route is now completely paved but it is still narrow and twisty.

Here's another old farm house just South of the park on a dirt road.

Weeeeeeeee

#11 ·
Nice report, thanks for taking the time to post.

I really need to get over to that area and explore it. While researching my family history I discovered that I had three relatives fight in the Battle of Kings Mountain. One was a member of the "Over Mountain Men" that marched over from East Tennessee, and two were Loyalists who fought for the British.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.